Saturday, May 17, 2014

OVERCOMING OBSTACLES - MEGAN DOWNEY

My time in China so far has been a great experience for me. Since it is my first time out of the country I am very interested in learning about the culture and the people. Seeing the Great Wall, the Forbidden City and Dazu Stone Carving has allowed me to improve my understanding of Chinese history and their way of life. This has helped me better understand diversity and how culture varies around the world.
My favorite part of the trip has been getting to know my partners, Chinese students here at CTBU who help us international travelers to better adjust to being in China, as well as students from all around the world. I’ve also become closer with the Widener students on the trip. I have enjoyed hearing about so many different ways of life and seeing how diversity helps bring the world together.

The biggest culture shock for me has been how many bathrooms there do not provide any toilet paper or soap. I also was surprised by how the eastern style toilets are so low to the ground, but I’ve been doing my best to adjust and embrace the difference. I also had an accident during our time in Chongqing. I and some friends were walking down the street in a local shopping area called Nanping, and I tripped over a small step, cutting my knee. At this time, though I didn’t realize it, I also sprained my ankle. The next day I couldn’t walk at all and I had to go to the hospital, where they wrapped my foot in medicinal herbs and gave me crutches. This was unfortunate however, because I and the other Widener students lived on the top floor of the dorm building, so several times during that period, Jeremy and Tyler had to give me piggyback rides up the stairs to the seventh floor! I felt very bad for them but I was also extremely appreciative to have such great friends. My ankle is doing much better now and I’m walking normally again. Now I’m even more excited for the trip than I was before!

No comments:

Post a Comment