Thursday, May 29, 2014

RELIGION AND HISTORY - JANELLE ROUSE

Yesterday I had the honor of walking around the Dazu Stone Carvings and learning about the Buddha. I was amazed at the size and details of these stone carvings that were carved from the mountainside. I think that this was the highlight of my trip because while visiting The Great Wall and The Forbidden City were marvels to me, I found that learning the history and the meaning behind the religion practiced in this country. I love learning about other religions and as I was born and raised in a Christian home, this experience opened my eyes a great deal. It was awe-inspiring to see the amount of dedication that it had taken to carve such magnificent stories into the side of the mountain.

I have been experiencing a bit of culture shock while being here in China because everything is so different here. Not just the religion, but also the fashion, the food, even the bathrooms! I think the thing that has shocked me the most is the way that the Chinese people react to the sight of foreigners. They stare and take pictures of me all the time. I think that Black skin and kinky hair is an anomaly here. Several times people have attempted to touch me and touch my hair. I have gained appreciation for the way that the United States is such a melting pot of colors, people, and languages. It is not strange for us to see people who look different from us because we all look different. I am thoroughly enjoying myself and being in the mountainous city of Chongqing has seriously sculpted my legs: so much walking! I am looking forward to the upcoming events on campus and especially looking forward to going to Xi’ an to see the Terra Cotta soldiers.

No comments:

Post a Comment